sábado, 17 de noviembre de 2012

Diary from a royal wedding guest


I was among the lucky people who got to be at the cathedral for the royal wedding in Luxembourg last week. As I promised to many, and to commemorate the first month of the wedding of Guillaume and Stephanie, I thought it was only fair to share the experience with my lovely readers and those interested.
 
It was an early start of the day to make sure I had time to do everything and be on time. I got to the cathedral some time before the ceremony started. The streets were lined with decorations with Guillaume and Stephanie’s monogram. Cars lined in front of the le royal hotel where several guests were staying for the occasion.
 
It was a chilly morning but we would soon learn that a nice, almost summery, day was ahead of us. Guillaume and Stephanie certainly have been lucky that the sun shined and we had no rain. I must admit I was worried that it rained or was too cold, since that would have ruined the festive atmosphere. I wondered what Stephanie would have done if it had rained - did she get Elie Saab to make a matching jacket for her dress to wear for the day in case it rained?
 
The cathedral was quite full of people as I arrived. Flowers decorated the cathedral although there wasn't an overpowering smell of flowers, that is usually too heavy for some guests. I bet some people appreciated! Screens inside the cathedral showed video footage from the civil marriage the previous day and from the gala dinner at the palace the night before.
 
Organizers were around the cathedral making sure everything went as planned. There were even policemen touring the cathedral, both before and during the ceremony, which I thought was most unusual.
 
The ladies looked amazing in their headpieces, looking at them was an excellent past-time as we waited for the ceremony to start
 
The screen started showing the guests arriving to the cathedral. We heard the excitement from the crowds outside as the grand duke arrived and marveled as we saw Guillaume arriving and obviously when he bride arrived in her gorgeous dress.
 
As they entered the cathedral, Guillaume welcomed guests saying hello to the people as they were entering the cathedral. The grand duchess was smiling and we could tell she was beaming, even though she didn't speak as Guillaume did.
 
The royal representatives entered the cathedral through the middle aisle. All of the crown princes and their wives (and the crown princess of Sweden and her spouse of course) traversed the aisle before the grand ducal family and the bride and groom if I well remember. The people around me seemed to recognize them as they moved down the cathedral and smiled and gossiped as they recognized them (is that really Caroline of Monaco?).
 
Lalla Salma seemed to recognize the protection officer that was assigned to her in the cathedral and said hello, both as she entered and as she left the cathedral. Some of the royals seemed keener to smile to the guests than others, who just walked down the aisle with no distraction. There seemed to be disguised protection officers all over the cathedral, in black.
 
Stephanie’s family also walked down the aisle. Her sisters and brothers all looked extremely elegant and dignified that no one missed their entrance. 
 
The moment came for Stephanie to arrive. Her dress shined as he moved and she walked slowly through the cathedral down to the altar.
 
The ceremony was shown to all the guests, some of them far from the altar, with the screens.
 
We could hear the cheers from the crowd outside as they were pronounced husband and wife and as they exchanged rings.
 
The ceremony was simple and traditional. Guests were invited to take communion; priests were placed all along the cathedral.
 
As the ceremony ended, the bridal party left in the protocolar order. The couple was congratulated by the people in the church as they left. Everyone clapped as the ceremony was over. We could hear the clapping advancing through the cathedral as the couple approached each row. They looked happy and relaxed.
 
Some of the guests were in the cathedral by the time they arrived to the palace and went to greet the crowds at the balcony. The cathedral started clapping again as they kissed on the balcony, as if everyone wanted to accompany the couple until the very last moment.
 
I spoke to other guests, some of which worked for charities of the grand ducal families. One told me about the work of the duchess with the guide dogs association and said she had a very sweet, approachable demeanor. Other guests explained how at the gala dinner Stephanie's dad suffered from a small breakdown and told us how the duchess came immediately to comfort him. Everyone seemed to have positive words to say about the duchess. 
 
I left the cathedral and saw the crowds still lining along the streets and the military along the cathedral. I decided to reach my hotel walking. Several members of the public asked me how the wedding was at the cathedral, as they saw I had a wedding programme. With a big smile I told them it was a great experience and that the atmosphere inside was superb.
 
I got changed and went for a walk in Luxembourg. I was delighted to discover it, it's a beautiful place. What most caught my attention were the lovely fall colors of the trees. I understood why guillaume and Stephanie chose autumn for their wedding: Luxembourg has the nicest autumnal colors I have seen in a long time, and the fact that the town is surrounded by a lush valley with trees really lets you appreciate the beauty: if you ever go to Luxembourg you will know exactly what I mean as you cross Pont Adolphe.
 
As I walked through the town I saw a train passing with two black and white drawings of Guillaume and Stephanie's faces. I thought it was a nice gesture to do it but was surprised as not many people seemed to had seen it (I only saw it by surprise as I crossed a very empty passage). My surprise when I saw the same drawings at the fireworks later on in the day, decorated with lights, which left in the middle of the fireworks through the same bridge through where I saw them arrive.
 
I joined the Luxembourgish in the evening for the fireworks and the concerts which wrapped up a fantastic day.

1 comentario:

  1. You are very welcome! It's my pleasure to share the experience. It was a beautiful wedding and the atmosphere was surely very moving and vibrant at the same time. It was beautifully done.

    ResponderEliminar